Wednesday 12 December 2012

Designer Interview!

Babe & Butter interview
Babe & Butter is a brand I recently discovered through the power of online magazines; I was intrigued by their gorgeous prints. Specially as i'm a girl with 'Glitter in my veins' too and knew I just had to get something from them! They sell a variety of handbags, make-up cases, prints, notepads and not forgetting they also provide commissions for extra special prints. I won a 'Caked Up' make-up bag which I'll show later in the week, but for now indulge in Babe&Butter- from the talented owner and artist, Tanina Jackson :)

Where do you get your inspiration from for your designs?
For me, inspiration is similar to the feeling you get when you shop, see something, and automatically start building an outfit in your mind of how you would put all the elements together. I get inspired by all kinds of things and heels are one of my greatest inspirations.  When I have an idea for a painting, I try to draw inspiration to make it will work on many levels. I want my paintings to be hip and feminine, but also portrayals of women as smart and confidence. 
How did you come up with the brand name 'Babe & Butter'?
Babe&Butter is the name of my studio and the inspiration came from a Lil Wayne song. He has a love song and there is a line that goes "You called me Butter and I called you Babe". I loved the line so much, i flipped them around and went with that. I know it was right for me because I never get tired of it. 
How long does it take to paint one of your artworks?
It used to take me forever and a week to paint a painting! At a certain point, I started to put a lot of pressure on myself to start and finish everything, and do it faster and faster. Now I pretty much paint everything in 2-3 long sittings that last about 8-10 hours each time.
How did Babe & Butter begin?
I started painting when I was around 13 and started selling artwork immediately. Around the age of 14 or 15 I had a boyfriend that was really into fashion and he is really the one that got me interested in fashion. I have always been very extreme, and if I love something I will do it relentlessly and to the best of my ability for however long the interest lasts. I have always painted, but when I started to do it for a living - I decided to mix my passion for fashion and art. Quickly after I painted my first High Heels, I dedicated my whole studio to painting Fashion Art - and Babe&Butter was born.
Did you face any obstacles? How did you overcome these? 
Obstacles! Yes. I have had highs and lows. I have had many points where I wanted to 'give up', but most of that was me just talking myself down in my own head. What has gotten me through it was mostly my parents, my family, my friends, and fans of my work. (Especially my mom - she would need 10 hands to count all the times I have called her and cried to her - she is the love of my life and I fall more in love with her everyday). It's not always easy to take your own path but their are also amazing parts that you cannot experience if you don't - and at this point of my life I cannot picture myself doing anything else.
What do you love best about your job?
My dad would tell me everyday before school, "Do your very best at school today." This is something I translate into the way I work today; every painting, every email, every project I undertake I do my very best. I adore my job because it allows me to put my heart and very best into everything I do - and I want to do it too because I love what I am doing. Nothing means more to me than my Buttercups- I go out of my way to spread as much love as I can and make things special for other people.
What tricks have you got up your paint-splattered sleeves for 2013?
2013 is going to be an amazing year and I already have a lot of Fashion Art paintings planned out. One that you can expect every soon is a girl in fabulous heels holding flowers to one side and pinwheels to the other; it represents beauty and happiness. Also expect the biggest Facebook (www.facebook.com/babeandbutter)giveways I have done yet...
Have you got any new years resolutions?  
My New Years Resolution is to see my Grandma more. 
Check out more from Babe&Butter at http://www.babeandbutter.com/ Discounts are also available if you ask for a business card :)


1 comment:

  1. It's endearingly uplifting and gracious the way you draw inspiration and inclination from people along your path rather than just try to travel the path without them. Its quite metaphorical in the sense that the straps or enclosing sides of your precious heels are there for support. It could b tough to walk in or on heels without that support, but your believability in individuality to accentuate the actual glide makes for a truly smooth and blemish free execution toward the importance for any of us to remember that in order our walk to b smooth its got to b confident and that can only b done by keeping our heads up.

    ReplyDelete